Fav Linux Flavor?
by NeoNazi - October 17, 2017 at 03:24 AM
I need a new os, that also offers simple full disk encryption in the installation.
Any suggestions?

I'm looking into Ubuntu, and I'm leaving Fedora. (Fedora offered full disk encryption in the installation, too.)

Requirements perferred: (lol)

Full disk encryption during install option
Not pacman based package manager (either yum or apt)
Isn't Mint Cinnamon
Isn't Kali [lol]
Isn't Parrot [lol]
Has stable builds, and isn't bugged the fuck up like blackarch.
Also, no arch pls.

A suggestion of cool OS' from me to you:

Subgraph
OpenBSD
BSD in general
CentOS (good for hardened hosting)
instead of encryption during start up, you can use the truecrypt secure boot options as well as Plausible Deniability in truecrypt for better security. this also allows you to use whatever OS you want. if you don't know about Plausible Deniability yet, you might want to look into it. its kind of amazing
(October 02, 2018 at 05:04 AM)BoringApe Wrote:
(February 07, 2018 at 08:36 PM)crypterj3st3r Wrote: instead of encryption during start up, you can use the truecrypt secure boot options as well as Plausible Deniability in truecrypt for better security. this also allows you to use whatever OS you want. if you don't know about Plausible Deniability yet, you might want to look into it. its kind of amazing

The TrueCrypt dev team has warned against using it. I take their warning seriously.

So, what's about VeraCrypt?
arch + blackarch repo. get over your fear of pacman and learn to inspect and build packages yourself.
my fav is probably debian lol, has just the right amount of programs so you don't need to piece everything together & pray whenever you update the packages like with arch
Just to add an interesting pow about the plausible deniability feature: https://defuse.ca/truecrypt-plausible-de...theory.htm
(October 02, 2018 at 11:59 PM)0xd64732865984 Wrote:
(October 02, 2018 at 05:04 AM)BoringApe Wrote:
(February 07, 2018 at 08:36 PM)crypterj3st3r Wrote: instead of encryption during start up, you can use the truecrypt secure boot options as well as Plausible Deniability in truecrypt for better security. this also allows you to use whatever OS you want. if you don't know about Plausible Deniability yet, you might want to look into it. its kind of amazing

The TrueCrypt dev team has warned against using it. I take their warning seriously.

So, what's about VeraCrypt?

VeraCrypt is fine.

(October 20, 2018 at 01:50 PM)kodakwhite Wrote: my fav is probably debian lol, has just the right amount of programs so you don't need to piece everything together & pray whenever you update the packages like with arch

Agreed, debian is bae.
(October 17, 2017 at 03:24 AM)NeoNazi Wrote: I'm looking into Ubuntu, and I'm leaving Fedora. (Fedora offered full disk encryption in the installation, too.)

Why are you leaving Fedora?
A lot of this just comes down to figuring out your preferred package manager and preferred desktop environment. Then you just find an OS that combines the two. I'd suggest trying out various non-cinnamon DEs that Linux Mint offers as LiveCDs and go with one of those. Despite being Ubuntu-based, they seem to be posturing themselves as an alternative for people who get fed up with maintream Ubuntu. Going straight Debian would be a good route as well.

If you're a masochist, there's always Gentoo.