Is M1 a good enough reason to switch?
by necronomikyle - March 25, 2021 at 09:45 PM
I only do light gaming these days. Mostly my computer is an education tool, video watcher, sometimes I stream less intensive games and ocassionally VR.
I would consider adding an EGPU at some point but am really considering an m1 mac mini just to have something more stable than my old alienware aurora.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any of the m1 products and what their experiences/joys/regrets are.
Switch from an older mac maybe, I just can't see it being viable for gaming, or power users. Maybe video editing on the go?? if thats a thing?
My experience is great so far. Most of my software runs smoothly. I can run Kali Linux and Windows 10 in parallels. I currently program in C# (dotnet 5) with docker. I only used postgresql in docker. All of those programs are in preview. So of course, there are still bugs in it or some parts are not working. Most surprising for me was the battery length. I can use my macbook all day and longer without a charger. I don't use the macbook for gaming. Although i tried some games, because I was interested in how it behave on my macbook. For normal use, I don't have any trouble. The IOS apps I installed works also very smoothly.
i've heard good things honestly. if you're not super into gaming then yeah i say go for it
M1 is not a very good choice for modern games. You can play with old toys. The Mac mini on the M1 processor is more suitable for work. Its performance is excellent when compared to the macbook pro on the same processor.
Do you think its worth waiting for next generation (after M1) ?
(April 06, 2021 at 09:33 PM)thunder333 Wrote: Do you think its worth waiting for next generation (after M1) ?

It really depends on what you want to do on the Macbook.

I really wanted an Macbook with an ARM based chipset and very good battery life. It is really fast for daily uses and programming. I would wait if you want to use it for heavy workload such as video editing. I would also wait if you have already very good working Macbook or laptop. After 4 months, I'm still very happy with this M1 Macbook. This is my first Macbook though.

My recommendation is that if you are going to buy the M1 Macbook, please buy the 16 gb ram version.
I really kinda want an M1 Mac, but I probably won't get one until I can run Virtualbox on it. AFAIK Virtualbox isn't supported yet and that 's a dealbreaker for me. But otherwise I'd get one.
(August 05, 2021 at 07:24 PM)Sosolapute Wrote: kill yourself fucking nigger

What's your probem, dude? Chill out
(August 05, 2021 at 07:51 PM)Sosolapute Wrote:
(August 05, 2021 at 07:34 PM)brill Wrote:

What's your probem, dude? Chill out
Could you please mind your own business? I'm not talking to you but to the OP.
Sorry, dude. Thought you were talking to me. Peace.

WOW, why would you say something like that out of context? Stop being toxic, this type of comments add nothing to this discussion  Confused
(March 25, 2021 at 09:45 PM)necronomikyle Wrote: I only do light gaming these days. Mostly my computer is an education tool, video watcher, sometimes I stream less intensive games and ocassionally VR.
I would consider adding an EGPU at some point but am really considering an m1 mac mini just to have something more stable than my old alienware aurora.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any of the m1 products and what their experiences/joys/regrets are.

I have an M1 Mac for my Computer Science course in University. I am in love with it. I bought the M1 Macbook Pro base model and I dont regret buying it. The performance is outstanding, its snappy and I wouldnt change it for anything else. The built times / compile times, training is faster then anything i have seen previously. If you have the money then buy it. Its honestly a matter of taste. I have a gaming laptop for gaming. I have both Windows and MacOS so im not biased. It all boils down to preference and what you want out of your laptop. If you want gaming, get Windows... honestly. Macbook are sort of aimed more for work... not for gaming, thats why i dont listen to anyone who shits on Macbooks because of 'bad framerates'. They're made for students, engineers and people who need performance on the move.

My Macbook outperforms my PC when it comes to compile time, decompile time and runs programs faster even with Rosetta 2. Furthermore, the battery life is also a major selling point. Apple was not overexaggerating when they said that this computer lasts 18 hours. I went almost 3 days without charging my Macbook. Ofcourse i wasnt running some major battery draining programs. However, even with heavy applications running all day you can squeeze out 12 hours

At the end of the day, its honestly about what you want out of the laptop, like i said before. Its up to you. Do some research, list the pros and cons, speak to some people about it. I gave you my PERSONAL opinion, im not biased since i have the best of both worlds.