My friend died because of his stepson - what can I do to uncover the truth?
by maxkisinger - August 14, 2021 at 12:14 PM
My best friend died last month in a fire. It was declared as a suicide. Prior to that, he kept me updated on his horrible situation with his stepson, who was stalking him and hurting his business.

However, now after his death, it becomes apparent that the stepson actually had access to my friend's computer and document for years (through physical means and finding passwords that were written down). The whole situation was far worse than we believed.

His stepson regularly accessed his private and work computer as well as archived documents during his absence. He has used that to fake crimes in my friend's name, close bank accounts, drive his credit score to the ground, report fake tax evasion, redirect correspondence, send insult messages to his friends and etc. (note that this happened in Germany). He even managed to borrow money from two of his friends in his name (and received that money). Those friends of course then hated the victim for claiming he doesn't know anything about any debts when they wanted their money back. My friend's small company went bankrupt due to the disruption. He actually did much more, but I can't disclose more without compromising my anonymity too much.

It's only now that he died that I found this out. After my friend's death, the stepson bragged once to a common acquaintance about being a true "mastermind" and that nobody should dare to oppose him. That "mastermind" simply had a key to his house (a copy from his mother's key) and far too much time on his hand. From a technical viewpoint, he is only slightly more capable than the average Joe.

I need to find more accurate information about what really happened. My previous attempt at filling charges wasn't successful. 

My friend's son (of first marriage(, who I now befriended after his father's death, has accidentally provided me with old documents he possesses about his stepmother and her son (from first marriage) because he had an old backup of his father's computer that I silently retrieved a copy from. First, he believed he could find some justice in a lawful way, but now he became more silent after he noticed the first signs of stalking from his father's stepson. This isn't going to go anywhere under these circumstances and I want to support him in any way I can.

Here's the theoretical list of data that can be salvaged from that backup (I even looked for deleted files). It's mainly from scanned documents that my friend scanned over multiple decades of marriage, and I also did some additional research on top:

Stepson:
- Full name
- Birthdate
- Address
- Copy of signature (three different variations)
- private mobile phone number
- private e-mail address
- work e-mail address
- Info on his employer
- His position at work
- His direct superior's name at work
- A valid link to his linked profile that isn't accessible to me (the profile isn't shared to the public) or anybody I know
- Name of his wife
- Mobile phone number of his wife
- Name of his daughter. Who by the way, as a minor, went to the youth welfare office last year to report her parents about something - but I don't know more about this.
- A salted password hash from the MyHeritage leak in 2017 (which I believe to be worthless since it`s salted)
- The file number of the insurance case they opened after the fire (as well as the name and e-mail of his insurance's contact)
- A few documents about ongoing charges concerning a separate case in his family. As a carer for a woman with dementia (who died in 2015), he emblezzed a six-figure sum (house, money and jewelry). It isn't been dropped yet because the evidence provided isn't too shabby, but there is the issue that the charges were only filled by two parties that don't have any legal claim on that money at all. Given the overall laziness of the local police and judges (they already dropped so many of his charges in the past), I don't think the pressure will be big enough for investigations to go on.

His mother and my dead friend's wife who enabled him to do all those horrible things:
- Full name
- Birthdate
- Address
- Copy of signature (two different variations)
- pension insurance number
- social security number

Additional assumptions (not facts):
- The stepson probably often used the computer at his workplace as well as his private PC at home to access my friend's online accounts and other online services (online-banking, paypal, ebay and etc). He should still have access to those accounts, even after my friend's death.
- Stepson probably has Facebook, but I haven't found the link to his profile.
- My friend's wife probably only had the motivation to sell the house, while the stepson's motivation is not only about money, but also of pure hatred (he never accepted that my friend married his mother while his father still wanted to be back with her)
- The stepson probably uses WhatsApp a lot (or at least moderately)
- The mother has no online presence, and I don't think she even has a smartphone
- The stepson has some kind of "power of attorney" at work, but I don't know more details
- The stepson's mailbox might not have MFA enabled, because his mail provider doesn't enforce such by default
- The stepson might have a Xing profile

The info I am seeking:
- His location on the day of my friend's death. The police concluded with suicide, but the autopsy actually says "unknown cause of death". There's still a chance that this wasn't actually suicide.
- Pieces of evidence for the past crimes against my friend - or at least the evidence that he had access to everything from my friend (certainly he stored the password and all data about my friend somewhere)
- He might actually be carefree enough to speak openly about this with his closest friends, so any kind of private messaging could provide more clues

If you were in my shoes, how would you proceed, given the info I already collected? I don't have any more ideas atm.

p.s.: I am new to this, and I hope I am not breaking any forum rules (sorry if I did).
I'd post as much of this and his actual real information as you can without compromising yourself all over as many social media accounts and pages as you can, especially local ones. The more buzz that's created the more pressure you'll put on the stepson and the police to potentially reopen and investigate the death. I highly doubt he's any kind of actual mastermind or anything and seeing his name and story all over the place will put a lot of stress on him which will make him more likely to slip up somewhere. Once he starts to see the accusations he's going to get nervous and want to defend himself immediately. He's likely going to start to tell people things to try to change the story, and unless he truly has nothing to hide he's probably going to trip himself by not telling the same story to everyone. The problem is you have no real authority to make anyone speak to you honestly, so even if he does slip up and say something to someone he shouldn't have, or change his story, or w/e, they don't have to tell you.

I'd get with a detective and lay all this stuff out to him if you're serious because you could wind up getting yourself in trouble trying to investigate things if you don't really have a good handle on what you're doing.
Are you okay, man? I'm worried for you.
I'm sorry for your loss. That's a rough situation. Make sure you make multiple copies of that backup of the hard drive you have. Also, document everything! Even if it's just in a notebook like a journal or something. Keeping track of what you're doing is going to help and it might even be used in court if something eventually comes up against this guy.

And yeah, like @akaCash says, find a quality private investigator. It might be expensive, but this doesn't sound like something that can be done easily alone. Plus, again, you'll have more legal backing when something eventually comes up against this guy.

Best of luck to you.
- Pieces of evidence for the past crimes against my friend - or at least the evidence that he had access to everything from my friend (certainly he stored the password and all data about my friend somewhere)

for this u might be able to do it through ratting him. That way you would be able to spy on him and if the rat u are using has cookie dumping capabilities. you might be able to access his socials like facebook on your own system. Idk if the evidence you gain from this would be usable in court but if you choose to go through this route, host the rat server on a rdp/vps paid using btc so it doesnt link back to u. all i can say is, I'm sorry for your loss and good luck in your endeavours.
Honestly, i believe talking to the people associated with the case is more important. before that finding the motive of the stepson is important, if my instincts are right, then you'll get maximum information from the people associated in this case. for example, the autopsy guy and other people who can make a strong evidence for your suspicion to be true.

nevertheless, if there is any proof that the stepson did fake filing attempts and other things such as asking for debt, internet is your best friend in getting the logs. (given that you identify where your friend was when this conversation was being made to clearly hint a doubt among the investigating officers)

remember, don't ignore the possibility of suicide, if you say the friend was in debt and went bankrupt, chances of the mental imbalance and depression that will lead to such extreme steps is possible.
Delete / overwrite this post immediately and contact an attorney.

Do not write or post anything anywhere about this, don't talk to anyone about this.

Make sure to tell the attorney that you did publicly post this but subsequently deleted it.

Good luck.
I think that post like this should not be published anywhere. The less outside people know the better.
I'll move this onto a production company, surely this'll get greenlit into a netflix series.
(August 14, 2021 at 12:14 PM)maxkisinger Wrote: My best friend died last month in a fire. It was declared as a suicide. Prior to that, he kept me updated on his horrible situation with his stepson, who was stalking him and hurting his business.

However, now after his death, it becomes apparent that the stepson actually had access to my friend's computer and document for years (through physical means and finding passwords that were written down). The whole situation was far worse than we believed.

His stepson regularly accessed his private and work computer as well as archived documents during his absence. He has used that to fake crimes in my friend's name, close bank accounts, drive his credit score to the ground, report fake tax evasion, redirect correspondence, send insult messages to his friends and etc. (note that this happened in Germany). He even managed to borrow money from two of his friends in his name (and received that money). Those friends of course then hated the victim for claiming he doesn't know anything about any debts when they wanted their money back. My friend's small company went bankrupt due to the disruption. He actually did much more, but I can't disclose more without compromising my anonymity too much.

It's only now that he died that I found this out. After my friend's death, the stepson bragged once to a common acquaintance about being a true "mastermind" and that nobody should dare to oppose him. That "mastermind" simply had a key to his house (a copy from his mother's key) and far too much time on his hand. From a technical viewpoint, he is only slightly more capable than the average Joe.

I need to find more accurate information about what really happened. My previous attempt at filling charges wasn't successful. 

My friend's son (of first marriage(, who I now befriended after his father's death, has accidentally provided me with old documents he possesses about his stepmother and her son (from first marriage) because he had an old backup of his father's computer that I silently retrieved a copy from. First, he believed he could find some justice in a lawful way, but now he became more silent after he noticed the first signs of stalking from his father's stepson. This isn't going to go anywhere under these circumstances and I want to support him in any way I can.

Here's the theoretical list of data that can be salvaged from that backup (I even looked for deleted files). It's mainly from scanned documents that my friend scanned over multiple decades of marriage, and I also did some additional research on top:

Stepson:
- Full name
- Birthdate
- Address
- Copy of signature (three different variations)
- private e-mail address
- work e-mail address
- Info on his employer
- His position at work
- His direct superior's name at work
- A valid link to his linked profile that isn't accessible to me (the profile isn't shared to the public) or anybody I know
- Name of his wife
- Mobile phone number of his wife
- Name of his daughter. Who by the way, as a minor, went to the youth welfare office last year to report her parents about something - but I don't know more about this.
- A salted password hash from the MyHeritage leak in 2017 (which I believe to be worthless since it`s salted)
- The file number of the insurance case they opened after the fire (as well as the name and e-mail of his insurance's contact)
- A few documents about ongoing charges concerning a separate case in his family. As a carer for a woman with dementia (who died in 2015), he emblezzed a six-figure sum (house, money and jewelry). It isn't been dropped yet because the evidence provided isn't too shabby, but there is the issue that the charges were only filled by two parties that don't have any legal claim on that money at all. Given the overall laziness of the local police and judges (they already dropped so many of his charges in the past), I don't think the pressure will be big enough for investigations to go on.

His mother and my dead friend's wife who enabled him to do all those horrible things:
- Full name
- Birthdate
- Address
- Copy of signature (two different variations)
- pension insurance number
- social security number

Additional assumptions (not facts):
- The stepson probably often used the computer at his workplace as well as his private PC at home to access my friend's online accounts and other online services (online-banking, paypal, ebay and etc). He should still have access to those accounts, even after my friend's death.
- Stepson probably has Facebook, but I haven't found the link to his profile.
- My friend's wife probably only had the motivation to sell the house, while the stepson's motivation is not only about money, but also of pure hatred (he never accepted that my friend married his mother while his father still wanted to be back with her)
- The stepson probably uses WhatsApp a lot (or at least moderately)
- The mother has no online presence, and I don't think she even has a smartphone
- The stepson has some kind of "power of attorney" at work, but I don't know more details
- The stepson's mailbox might not have MFA enabled, because his mail provider doesn't enforce such by default
- The stepson might have a Xing profile

The info I am seeking:
- His location on the day of my friend's death. The police concluded with suicide, but the autopsy actually says "unknown cause of death". There's still a chance that this wasn't actually suicide.
- Pieces of evidence for the past crimes against my friend - or at least the evidence that he had access to everything from my friend (certainly he stored the password and all data about my friend somewhere)
- He might actually be carefree enough to speak openly about this with his closest friends, so any kind of private messaging could provide more clues

If you were in my shoes, how would you proceed, given the info I already collected? I don't have any more ideas atm.

p.s.: I am new to this, and I hope I am not breaking any forum rules (sorry if I did).

You could cross reference computer startup logs with your friend’s location. You could also talk to your neighbors to find out what they know or if they have any surveillance cameras oriented towards your friends house. If you can find proof of his stepson entering the house with proof that your friend was away, you could charge him with breaking and entering. If you find proof of stepson entering house on the day of his death, you could charge him with murder. 

Should you have proof of stepson being on your friends computer, (e.g. password logs, messages with stepson’s friends/acquaintances, browser history) you can charge him for that as well. If you have proof that someone was on the computer while friend was away or at work, this could be incriminating as well. 

This might be a stretch but if the stepson was on the computer for prolonged periods of time, you could use your friends electrical bill as evidence.
damn i feel so bad for him and for u
everything will be fine bro
It's a shame Maxki didn't add to his thread of woe and intrigue, was just getting interesting.. perhaps he too was incinerated

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
A friend is receiving threatening phone calls Dredgen Sun 14 968 September 21, 2021 at 02:50 PM
Last Post: Dredgen Sun
TRUTH SEEKING GruntzFlyerRuntz 7 675 April 16, 2021 at 02:18 AM
Last Post: 444qqrt
My friend practically robs tax payers... Pedo 15 1,960 July 18, 2019 at 11:25 AM
Last Post: HassaMassa